Saturday, May 1, 2010

Reading Roundup April 2010

By the Numbers
Picture Books: 21
Early Readers: 1

Sources
Library: all

Standouts
Writing: Chicken Butt! by Erica S. Perl, illustrated by Henry Cole
Do I really have to summarize this one? I regressed to about the age of seven when reading. Review forthcoming.
Illustration: Just in Case by Yuyi Morales
SeƱor Calavera is back, with all the lush, warm colors and traditional motifs from Mexican art. If it wouldn't be thoroughly against copyright, I'd muralize every wall of my library with Morales' art.
Overall: Without You by Sarah Weeks and Suzanne Duranceau
Nontraditional family roles for the win! Although since this is the way these penguins have operated since time immemorial, I don't know that it's that nontraditional . . . but say that to the people who freak out over the gay penguins.

Because I Want To Awards
That One Page Just Made Me Crack Up: Little Panda by Renata Liwska
Dude Seriously Needs Some Anti-Anxiety Meds: Scaredy Squirrel At Night by Melanie Watts
Such a Familiar Scenario: Harry Hungry! by Steven Salerno

No comments: