Saturday, February 27, 2010

Harold and the Purple Screen??

The latest news from the MTV Movies Blog:
Crockett Johnson's classic children's book "Harold and the Purple Crayon," which follows a little boy and the adventures he creates through drawings, is now set up at Sony Animation, where Will Smith, James Lassiter and children's book author Maurice Sendak are producing an adaptation that will reportedly be all-computer-rendered.
I'm . . . not entirely sure how to feel about this, y'all. I still haven't seen "Where the Wild Things Are" (I know! I know!) but from what I've heard, they had to add a lot to flesh it out into a 90-minute movie. Some people are of the opinion that it was a hideous travesty, others think it was a masterpiece, and still others think they took a children's book and made it into a movie for grownups. Which, depending on your point of view, could fit either of the first two options.

On the other hand, Spike Jonze isn't anywhere near this one, and James "Mr. Pixar" Lassiter is, along with Maurice Sendak. Both these gentlemen could be said to know a thing or two about storytelling for children. And the example of "Cloudy with a Chance of Vomit" excuse me, "Meatballs" notwithstanding, I can really see computer animation working for this story. I guess we'll see.


Thanks to the approximately 76 billion folks who tweeted this.

No comments: